Preparing for The Netherlands
Stephanie Miller-Murphy is the owner of Travel With Stephanie, and helps clients in Mandeville, Covington, and New Orleans, LA plan their perfect luxury vacation.
Pre-Travel Prep! I always study a bit prior to my travels. I especially enjoy this prep when I will be venturing to a destination I have not traveled to before. Such is the case with The Netherlands. I find the research adds to my pre-trip excitement but also gives me an advantage when I arrive to my destination as I have a general “lay of the land”. This is particularly useful with the geography and history of a European destination as there is such rich history there. I also like to become familiar with common courtesies such as please and thank you as these go a long way and of course “where is the ladies room?”. I want to share the following Dutch tidbits with you that I have learned so far:
- Thank You – Dank je (je sounds like “ya”)
- Please – Alstublieft (AHL-stu-GLEEFT)
- Hello – Hallo (“HAH low”)
- Goodbye – Hoi (“hoy”)
I will arrive in the capital of Amsterdam, however my first three nights will be based in The Hague which is located one hour southwest. A few facts to share on The Hague:
- The Hague is the seat of the Dutch government and parliament.
- The Hague is the Netherlands’ largest city on the North Sea in the southwest of the South Holland province.
- This city is divided into eight official districts which are, in turn, divided into neighborhoods.
- The Hague includes the beach resort town of Scheveningen which welcomes 10 million visitors a year.
I look forward to sharing more specifics on The Hague with you over the next few weeks including the fabulous museums, palaces and architecture this city has to offer.
Geniet van je dag (have a nice day)!
Stephanie Miller Murphy, Luxury Travel Advisor, Travel With Stephanie